Friday, June 5, 2009

Dominican Republic, Day 1

I won't report the news. I won't bore you with details of narrowly making flights and what was left behind. Instead, I want this to glorify Christ.

Today, I felt joyful that I was embarking upon a journey with my family. My sister, Laura, was such a delight to visit with on all the flights. My brother, Michael, has got to be the wisest 16 year old I have ever met. I was overcome with such love for these people, though I barely know them.

What's more, I met Anne, Garrett, Katie, Robin, Cara, Miguel, Jenni, and Diego, Riley, and Jody. These are the staff members of Makarios who are hosting us this week. It was so refreshing to dine with them, laugh with them, and bring small slices of Austin to them. I am eagerly looking forward to getting to know them more over the next week.

This, I think, is what it means to be the Body of Christ. We love each other, unconditionally, though we may hardly know each other. We treat others as though they are more important than ourselves. We give as though nothing we have truly belongs to us, but to our Father in Heaven.

I have yet to see all of God's beauty that He has planned for us here. I can't wait to share more with you as the week progresses.

Romans 12:5
"so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another."




























1 comment:

Heather said...

Paik is just a little too excited about the bananas