Monday, July 6, 2009

Independence Day

This past Saturday was July 4th, American Independence Day. It is a day where we, as a nation, celebrate our freedom and honor those who have fought, and are fighting, to secure it.

Our social freedoms are God-given and reflect the liberation that we have experienced in Christ. Once we were slaves to sin and death, unable to resist the binding chains of selfish desires.

But God in His mercy... while we were sinners, enemies of The Most High, provided a way to free us and restore an intimate relationship with Him. He sent His son, Jesus, to live as His perfect sacrifice on our behalf. Jesus took on the full wrath of God at the cross, in my place, so that I could be called a son of The Most High God.

No amount of barbecue, swimming pools, or fireworks could ever express the joy I have in Him. It is because God loved me first that I am able to freely love Him in return.




No comments: